What is microblading?
Microblading is a procedure categorized under permanent makeup, but unlike traditional cosmetic tattooing it is less invasive and is semi-permanent. The procedure is done by using a hand tool with ultra-fine needles that gently etches natural looking micro-hairs. Using the best pigments, the color is matched to the natural brow color, or can be made to fit a new desired brow color.
How long does it take?
The procedure requires two sessions. The first session typically takes 2.5 hours and includes a shape and style consultation, color selection, and the construction of the brows customized to the client’s interest and needs. You will then return for a follow-up visit 6-8 weeks to make minor adjustments after healing. This second session typically takes up to 2 hours in total.
How long does it last?
Microblading typically lasts 1-3 years depending on your skin type and skin care routine. A touch up is recommended every 12-18 months to maintain fresh looking brows.
How long does it take to heal?
Microblading takes an average of 7-14 days to heal and one month for the color to settle into your desired results. Your eyebrows will appear a little red in color with dark ink following the procedure and you may notice slight scabbing. Following surface healing, you’ll notice the color is very light and the skin will have an opaque milky looking quality to it. This is due to the tissue still healing from the inside out even though the surface of the skin is healed. These are all normal parts of the healing process and the true color will reveal itself once healed.
Is the touch up session necessary?
Yes! Touch ups is necessary 6-8 weeks following your first session because everyone heals differently and the outcome will vary. We use this session to fill any areas that did not pick up the ink, adjust the pigment color, and brow thickness to ensure you achieve the look you want. Most importantly, your touch up session is when we polish your brows to ensure they look perfect, and they will hold the color for the whole year!
*Touch ups may not be done sooner than 6 weeks.
Is microblading painful?
Your microblade artist will apply a topical anesthetic to numb the area prior to, and during the procedure. This ensures the maximum comfort level possible for our clients. While everyone responds differently, microblading has been described as somewhere between not feeling anything to feeling light cat scratches. Clients have described the feeling of a light sunburn during the healing process.
*Topical anesthetics may contain lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine, and epinephrine.
Is there any pre-procedure advice, and aftercare instructions?
In order to achieve the best results it is best to follow the pre and post care instructions.
Prior to your procedure, clients are advised of the following:
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 72 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- Feel free to come in with their brow makeup on so our technician can see your everyday look you prefer. Reference pictures of shapes and colors of brows are always welcomed. We will then work together to create the perfect brows!
After your procedure, clients MUST follow these instructions:
- Within 2 hours after the procedure, clean brows using a q-tip and lightly moisten with distilled or cooled downed boiling water. Gently wipe away the old healing balm and any lymphatic liquid (clear yellowish liquid) that may have built up. Lightly pat dry with tissue and using a new q-tip, re-apply healing balm to the brows.
- Make sure to apply a light layer of healing balm morning and night to brows for at least 5-7 days.
- Do not over apply healing balm, clients with oily skin may only need to apply once a day.
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 14 days. When showering, make sure to avoid face area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid brows and clean around it.
- Do not put makeup on the brow area for a minimum of 10 days. Microbladed area is an open wound, using makeup may cause infections.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 24 hours.
- Brow area will feel slightly itchy as it heals and will start to lightly scab over. Do not peel or pick at the scabs as this can affect the outcome and pigmentation.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
Am I suited for the procedure?
Microblading is not suitable for the following candidates:
- Using Accutane
- Have heart conditions or using heart medications
- Have diabetes (will require a physician’s note)
- Have skin disease or irritations
- Have had Botox in the last 2 weeks
- Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- Allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- Anyone who has any serious medical conditions may require a physician’s note.
- Pregnant or nursing clients
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who we deem not suitable for this procedure or for any other reason. Our brow technicians make the decision to microblade an individual based on their own discretion.
Are there any risks, or potential complications?
We take all proper precautions for a safe session by using sterilized equipment, new needles, and maintain a sanitized environment.So long as clients follow our pre and post care instructions, there should be minimal risks or complications. Although allergic reactions to the pigments are rare, it could be possible for certain individuals. If allergic reaction does occur seek medical attention immediately from your doctor.
What if I do not like it?
As with all cosmetic procedures, individuals should not make their choices lightly. We always recommend clients do their research, understand the procedure and compare different artists’ work and portfolio when making their decisions. Our brow technicians will do their utmost to shape and style the eyebrows to the clients’ satisfaction prior to the procedure. Every effort will be made to achieve an even appearance, but please realize our faces are never perfectly symmetrical. Uneven appearance can be fixed during the touch up session. Pigment discoloration and color correction can also be fixed during the touch up session. Microbladed brows will eventually fade away if no additional touch ups are done.
What are your cancellation or missed appointment policies?
Clients are able to cancel, and reschedule appointments at any time with a minimum of 24 hours’ notice prior to the appointment time, otherwise a fee will be charged.
Do I need to make a deposit?
Yes. To book an appointment, you must provide a valid credit card that is in your name. A $100 non-refundable deposit is required to confirm your microblading appointment. If you decide to forgo the microbladingservice, you may use the deposit towards another service offered at Scalpmasters, within one month. To cancel or reschedule, please email, or call us. Confirmation of cancellation will be done by email or phone.